I love love love Thanksgiving because the side dishes are the BEST. We don’t have anything like Thanksgiving in Europe and I appreciate how the entire country of the United States celebrates this holiday, no matter what religion or ethnic background they are from. This easy dish can be made the day before and is great hot or cold (so a perfect leftover item!). It combines my favorite Fall flavors and is not only delicious but also really nutritious (which is not the case with all Thanksgiving dishes ;)).
- 1 cup Thai purple sticky rice
- 1 butternut squash
- 4 cups baby kale
- 8 dried figs (chopped up)
- 1/4 cup pepitas
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar glaze (make sure you get the glaze as it’s sweet and thick – perfect dressing!)
- Pre heat the oven to 425°.
- Peel your squash (I usually cut it right where the ‘belly part’ starts and then peel the two parts individually) and chop it in small chunks. Toss with some salt and roast for 30-40 minutes until brown.
- Boil 1 cup of rice with 2 cups of water. It takes about 15 minutes.
- When squash and rice are done, mix them in a bowl with kale, and chopped up figs. Add some salt to taste and mix in sherry vinegar glaze. Top with some pepitas and enjoy!