I love a fresh, green salad, especially in Summer, when it’s super hot out. The best way to eat your greens though, is to top them with some delicious seasonal ‘accessories’ as I call it.
I’m really into fruit dressings these days and apricots are in season and just uber ripe at the moment, which makes them perfect for a salad dressing. I also love to add a little bit of that umami taste, by adding some tempeh bacon to my salad. By the way, you could also use mushrooms for this bacon recipe – it works equally well, with a slightly different mouth feel.
And pretzel croutons!
I also like to add some croutons because – well, because I’m a little bit French and that’s just what we do 😉 Oh and topped with some seeds and sun dried tomatoes, this dish really makes for a texture and flavor explosion!
I used this amazing tempeh that I brought back from London a couple weeks ago – It’s so dense and nutty!
You can marinate the tempeh in a bowl or even better, add it to a ziplock bag!
- For the tempeh bacon: 8 oz tempeh, sliced thinly
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- For the dressing: 3 ripe apricots
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- For the croutons: 2 cups of chopped pretzel or pretzel buns
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- Salt to taste
- Also: 6 cups of green salad (I love a mix between iceberg and green leaf lettuce)
- ¼ cup pepitas
- ½ cup chopped sun dried tomatoes
- For the tempeh bacon: In a bowl, mix soy sauce, liquid smoke, black pepper and maple syrup.
- Add thinly sliced tempeh and pour into a ziplock bag so that evenly coated. Now marinate for 2-3 hours.
- Lay out tempeh on a baking sheet (I use a non stick mat) and bake for 25-30 minutes at 375°. Flip tempeh half way through.
- For the apricot dressing: In a blender, mix all ingredients until smoothly combined.
- You can add water if you want the dressing to be a little thinner.
- For the croutons :In a bowl, mix chopped pretzel with coconut oil, basil and salt until well combined.
- Spread out on a baking sheet and bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes until crispy
- Final Steps: Put salad in a large serving bowl or in 4 individual bowls. Top with dressing, tempeh bacon, croutons, sun dried tomatoes and pepitas.