During a recent trip to Germany, I rediscovered my love for the potato. OK, that’s a lie. I never lost my love for potatoes but I must admit that I tend to cook more with sweet potatoes than regular potatoes in the US. And that’s a shame because all potatoes are great potatoes (and delicious!).
One dish that is super common in the Germany region of the Pfalz (where my brother, sister in law and little baby nephew live) is ‘Bratkartoffeln’. It’s a simple dish but it’s so yummy and nourishing. It often just consists of crispy fried potatoes with shallots and onions. Usually paired with some fresh apple sauce. It’s naturally vegan friendly unless made in animal fat (which does happen in Germany…). My personal take on it has a little bit more of a kick to it and I decided to add some broccolini for more color and texture. You could also add regular broccoli if you want. It makes a complete meal and can even be eaten for breakfast 🙂
- 3 medium russet potatoes
- 1 bunch broccolini
- 1 medium onion
- 1 large shallot
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- Salt to taste
- Start by boiling your potatoes for 15-20 minutes until cooked but still a little crisp.
- In the meantime, slice your onion and shallot in thin slices. Do the same with the jalapeno pepper (remove seeds if you don't want too much spice).
- Then cut broccolini in small pieces.
- When potatoes are boiled, slice them in thin disks.
- In a cast iron skillet, start by frying onions with some salt until they become golden. Then add potatoes and cook for about 10minutes, while mixing regularly so they don't burn.
- In a different skillet, fry shallots and jalapeno for 2-3 minutes. Then add broccolini. Fry until soft.
- Then add paprika to potatoes and top with shallot, jalapeno, broccolini mix. Combine well and cook for 3 more minutes.
- Enjoy with some vegan mayo and a side of apple sauce!