Pasta I Fagioli means pasta and beans – so you can actually make this recipe with any kinds of beans. I went with black eyed peas because they are super fine but you can use cannellini beans or kidney beans to make the dish a little bit more rustic. This dish is actually a very old traditional Italian recipe that is based on a peasant dish from Venice. It’s simple to make and you can use any kind of pasta. I went with this delicious Radioatori pasta – I love the mouth feel when it’s al dente and how the sauce sticks in between the ruffled edges 🙂
- 1 red onion (chopped)
- 1 clove of garlic (chopped)
- 5 cups veggie broth (low sodium is best)
- 1 14 ounce can of sliced tomatoes
- 1 large zucchini (chopped)
- 1 14 ounce can of black eyed peas
- 1 pack of pasta (I used
- salt + pepper to taste)
- Heat up olive oil in a big pot and fry onion and garlic until golden.
- Add broth, tomatoes, zucchini and beans. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add pasta and cook for 10 more minutes. Add salt, pepper and thyme to taste.
Serve with some fresh herbs on top for additional flavor!