Mustard is one of my favorite condiments because it’s so flavorful and I love the spice kick to it. I must say that the best brands come from France (maybe it’s also because I grew up with them). Maille makes truly delightful flavored and plane mustards – most of them a naturally vegan and make great bases for sauces, dips and marinates. I decided to use a Candied Orange Peel and Ginger Mustard from Maille as a base for a delicious tempeh bacon that works well on sandwiches and wraps. Read on and enjoy!
Makes 2 wraps, 30 min
- 2 whole wheat tortillas
- 1 ripe avocado
- 4 ounces of tempeh (Lightlife is great!)
- 3 tsp Orange Peel and Ginger Mustard
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 4 scallions
- 2 tsp harissa
- Pre-heat the oven to 350° and get a baking sheet ready.
- Slice tempeh in thin stripes. In a small bowl, mix mustard and liquid smoke. Then marinate one side of the tempeh with it.
- Roast tempeh for 15 minutes, then take out, marinate other side and roast for another 10 minutes.
- In a small skillet, fry shallots until golden brown. Then add maple syrup until caramelized.
- Mash avocado in a bowl with some salt and pepper to taste.
- Now assemble your wraps by adding a layer of avocado in a tortilla, topped with 6-7 bacon stripes, topped with shallots. Then fold like a wrap and slice in half. Add remaining shallots, fresh sliced scallions and harissa on top.