I recently discovered Better Bean (also using their products in my enchilada recipe) and it am quite impressed. All their beans are skillet sautéed, with minimal oil and freshly packed. You can keep them in your fridge for a while and they can be eaten as is or added to any kind of recipe. Currently the company offers 7 flavors, including a chili as well as a roasted chipotle dip. My two favorite flavors are the Cuban black beans and the skillet refried red beans – they are addictive to say the least.
Both the black and the red beans can be used for these mini bean burgers – and quite honestly, you can make them in a normal size as well. They are great as a party appetizer in the small version but also wonderful for dinner with roasted veggies on the side or on top of a salad for lunch. They are also rich in fiber and plant based protein – a great energizing food!
For 12-14 mini burgers, 30 minutes total
- 2 cups of refried red beans or cuban black beans
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1 red onion, peeled and halved
- Buns for serving
1.In a food processor, pulse the onion until small.
2. Add oats and beans, then pulse again until combined with a chunky texture.
3. Use about 1 tbsp of the mix to form a little sliders.
4. Heat up some oil in a skillet, fry sliders for about 3-4 minutes on each side. Then put them on a baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes on 350°.
5. Serve with some vegan buns (I love the whole wheat fruit and nut ones) and add some mustard!