If you want to make your own almond butter, that is is a pretty easy task. However, you need a tremendous amount of patience (and food processor!) and that’s it. I like to buy my almonds in bulk – the are especially affordable at the Indian grocery stores around NYC (Patel Brothers in Queens is great for that!). I usually buy them raw as you can always roast them later if you’d like.
- 3 cups of raw almonds
- 1 tsp orange extract (this is not mandatory at all but I love the light hint of orange in my almond butter, it makes it extra special).
- You will add all your almonds to a food processor and start pulsing them until they combine a little like a dough. This takes 5-10 minutes.
- Now the almonds are getting sticky, you have to process for another 20-30 minutes. You have to regularily scrape down the sides as almond ‘dough’ will accumulate there.
- At some point you will see some shininess, which is a good sign as now the fat is coming out of the almonds and smoothing it out. You can now add the orange extract.
- You have your almond butter when it’s all creamy and smooth.
Can be kept for about 1 week in the fridge and tastes great on bread, apples, bananas or just a spoon as a snack!