When I first moved to the U.S. I quickly became introduced to one of the national dishes: Mac & Cheese. Not that we don’t eat pasta with cheese in Europe, but it definitely doesn’t have the same status 😉 the problem with Mac & Cheese is that it’s not the healthiest and not the most nutritious dish. So I decided to look for a healthier, vegan alternative. There are lots of inspirations out there and here is my very own version.
Try it out and let me know what you think 🙂
– rice pasta shells
– 1 cup of raw cashews, soaked for at least 30 min (ideally longer!)
– 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
– salt and pepper to taste
– 1/4 cup of water
– 2 scallions
– 1 hand full of cherry tomatoes
– 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
1. Pre heat water and cook pasta. Take out when al dente.
2. In a blender, blend cashews, nutritional yeast, smoked paprika and water.
3. Taste and add salt and pepper.
4. Pour cooked pasta in a bowl, stir in cashew cream and add chopped up scallions and tomatoes.
Enjoy! Serve with a green salad for a healthy balanced meal.