One of my favorite foods are avocados – avocados are high in healthy fat, they are very versatile and I love their creamy texture.
What could be better to combine avocado and pasta? My problem with pasta is often that it can lack nutritious value if it’s just plain white pasta with some tomato sauce. But there are ways around this pasta sadness: one thing that I love, are pastas that are made of rice or legumes. There are some great brands out there. I personally love rice pasta because it gets a bit sticky when cooked and I like it slightly al dente if you love a good mouth feel. There are a number of other brands out there and I have a legume pasta recipe in the making – so stay tuned! Rice or legume pasta is more nutritious than normal white pasta because it’s higher in protein and fiber. It also tastes better and it’s often glutenfree.
I love to add some fresh veggies to my pasta dishes. Spinach is great because it can simply be stirred in at the end. Other great veggies are fresh peppers, tomatoes, corn, leafy veggies or anything you want to add. My avocado sauce includes some amazing dried tomatoes that make all the difference in taste. Check out the recipe here.
Now tell me, what is your favorite pasta recipe?
Makes 4 portions
– 1 bag of pasta of your choice
– 2 cups of spinach
– 2 cups of cherry tomatoes
– 1/2 cup of pepitas
– 2 scallions
– 1/2 pepper
– 1 cup of nutritional yeast
– 1 batch of creamy avocado sauce
– salt and pepper to taste
1. Get a large pot and bring enough water to a boil for pasta
2. Prep the avocado dressing
3. Boil Pasta for 9-11 minutes, stir regularly to avoid stickiness
4. Wash produce, chop up tomatoes (halved), peppers (cubed) and scallions (sliced)
5. Drain pasta and put in a large bowl
6. Add avocado sauce then stir in peppers, tomatoes, spinach, scallions and nutritional yeast. Add salt, pepper and pepitas at the end.