Cashews are magical nuts. Especially when you soak them, you can use them in SO many dishes. They make a great base for both a savory and a sweet cream. I love using them in desserts because they are rich enough to add texture and flavor but they also come with healthy, plant based fats.
The key is to soak cashews for long enough. Overnight is always the best. Make sure you pick raw cashews and not roasted ones as that changes the process. This simple cashew chocolate mousse is a perfect dessert, that will impress your guests with taste and visual appeal.
I like adding berries on top for a little fresh and tart kick but you can also add peaches or any other seasonal fruit. It doesn’t only make a great dessert but also a fantastic brunch treat!
- 1 cup overnight soaked cashews
- 1 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp coconut syrup or maple syrup
- 14 OZ coconut milk (full fat and refrigerated over night)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- Berries and shredded coconut for decoration
- In a food processor, blend cashews, water and maple syrup.
- Prepare coconut sauce by opening the cold coconut milk can and just scooping out the harder part on top (you can save the coconut water at the bottom for a smoothie) and adding it to a chilled bowl.
- Now add maple syrup and cocoa powder and start mixing with a hand mixer until creamy. Refrigerate.
- Pour cashew cream in a jar, filling it half way, then adding half of the coconut cocoa sauce and then adding more cashew cream. Repeat with both jars.
- Top off with berries and coconut shreds.