I absolutely love avocados – it’s not a secret. They are also great for you because they are super high in potassium (help to lower blood pressure), high in healthy unsaturated fats, they contain a lot of fiber and a whole mix of vitamins such as Vitamin K, B, C and E.
I also think avocados are extremely versatile because they can be used on top of toast, pasta (recipe coming soon!), in smoothies (oh yeah!) or simply as a dip with raw veggies and crackers. This recipe differs from a traditional avocado guacamole as I use the food processor to blend everything into a creamy texture. I also add sun dried tomatoes to it for an extra delicious kick. You can experiment with spices such as smoky paprika or cumin to work on different flavor profiles. I really like it pure, with some carrots, peppers and crackers (my favorite recently are Little Lad’s mud crackers – I discovered the brand up in Portland Maine and can’t get enough of it!). It comes in handy as a healthy afternoon snack (if you don’t eat it all by yourself ;)) or as an appetizer before dinner.
Also, just a little fun fact: botanically speaking, avocados are actually fruit. To be precise, they are part of the berry family (the pit is truly a gigantic single seed). Lots of people save the seed and plan it in a little pot – try it out and let me know how your avocado tree is coming along! 😉
Makes one batch (2-3 people as a dip)
– 1 ripe avocado
– 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes (the ones that are marinated in oil – I drain them before using them)
– 2/3 cup of water
– juice of half a lemon
– salt and pepper to taste
– 1/3 cup of pepitas (keep some for serving)
– crackers + veggies to dip
1. Cut open the avocado, remove the pit and scoop meat into a blender
2. Add sun dried tomatoes, water, lemon juice, pepitas and blend for a couple seconds until almost smooth
3. Open and taste. Now add pepper and salt and finish blending
4. Your dip is ready – top with some pepitas! Enjoy with crackers or veggies or use as a base for other dishes.